Friday, April 9, 2010

1,000 miles of Nada (Nathan)

First things first: the title of this post is blatant plagiarism. That's the headline Outside magazine gave to the drive down Baja. When Brett told me about it, I thought it sounded pejorative. I've changed my mind. It is, more or less, 1,000 miles of nothing. But it's an amazing nothing. Mile upon mile of narrow black asphalt crossing an ever-changing landscape -- from green rolling hills in the north, to winding cliff-laden curves on the coast, to broad open plains, to steep hills to the amazing desert. I find the desert especially impressive, because it's so foreign. It's every bit the stereotype of a desert: endless fields of strangley-contorted cactus, scrub brush and sand. It's even more impressive since we're here not long after a period of extensive rain. Even in the desert, it's green. That, and if you walk off the highway, the cactus are in bloom and there are flowers everywhere.
 
Even night time is gorgeous. We camped last night in the middle of nowhere, and whiled away the evening hours under a sky so starry it gave northern Canada a run for its money. I'm loving every minute of it. The only sad thing: we're nearly half-way done. The days are flying past, and once we get to Cabo tomorrow, we'll turn around and head straight back up the same road. Of course, we hope to get a margarita and a kayak paddle in first.

No comments:

Post a Comment