Maybe I should stop looking at maps, too.
I've been crunching the numbers on our route. I knew it was an ambitious trip. There are a lot of kilometres between Vancouver, which is just north of the 49th parallel, and Cabo, which sits at 22 degrees North. That means we're driving more than halfway to the equator -- then back.
Weather could get in the way. Equipment problems could get in the way. Aching bodies could get in the way.
Will we make it? I have no idea. I've never done anything like this. The furthest I have ever taken a motorcycle in a day is 525 kilometres. I was pretty sore then -- and that's about the shortest day we're contemplating on our trip. After all, 8,000 kms in 13 days makes for an average of 615 a day. If it's closer to 9,000, which it could be once we take into account twisting roads and side trips, we need to average nearly 700 a day.
There will be no rest for the weary on this trip.
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment