Monday, April 12, 2010

Riding the trip arc, downward (Nathan)

Too tired to type much tonight. Rode 519 miles today (835 kms). Some gorgeous scenery along the way -- desert, then bright blue water along white sand beaches. Spent a good three or four hours riding into a headwind, which got stronger as the day wore on. By the time we arrived in Guerroro Negro, it was blowing hard enough that I parked into the wind, for fear that the bike would get blown over. It didn't help that some illness is making me feel cold, even when it's 30 degrees outside. Don't know if it's sun or heat stroke from yesterday, or something we ate during the epic four-course dinner that took us hop-scotching across La Paz last night (marquesitas followed by burritos; then beef tacos and dulce de leche ice cream). Either way, I was shivering my way across the desert with the sun still shining. Brett wasn't much better. He has picked up something that's left him requiring very frequent bathroom breaks. Luckily I brought some industrial-grade antibiotics that should fix him up quick.
 
Oh, and to make things worse, I discovered today that my bike, which I bought used, has a thirst for oil. It's not severe -- 4,000 kms and it doesn't need to be topped up yet -- but you never like to discover that your gear isn't working perfectly.
 
I've discovered that every trip has a narrative arc. We've been riding a pretty high wave for a long time now, but today was definitely a dip. We're not sure yet whether we'll drive to Ensenada tomorrow, a shorter ride, or all the way to San Diego. Could depend on how much that headwind is looking for a repeat performance.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you guys are not feeling well. Hope you get some much needed rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete